Themes play an important role in giving an appreciable appearance for your Blog. It provides you a better control over the presentation of the content on your website. The suitable design for a website is like dressing yourself according to the occasion.
A Theme modifies the way a website is displayed without changing the content or software of it. By using different themes for different categories of posts, the website can be made to look awesome in its own way.
Assuming that now you know what is a theme and if you are looking for very easy steps to install Themes here they are. Since you are starting out, you might have heard about many available free and paid themes and you may like to try few free themes until you find the perfect one for you to fulfill your need. Here you can find different ways and detailed step by step instructions on how to install themes.
Image Credit: elegantthemes
Once you think of changing the theme keep in mind that when you activate a new theme the way your website looks and functions will completely change.
INSTALL NEW THEMES:
There is an official site the theme Directory where you can get themes which have been checked and free for downloading. There will be many featured themes which may be specially adapted for your content and the topic. For different tiles, there may be different themes available accordingly. You can search based on the type and style you need for your website. Follow the below steps to install these free Themes available:
- Once you login to admin area, click on Appearance followed by Themes.
- At the top there is an Add New button, Click on that. There appear various categories of themes with different features.
- There you can choose themes based on your required features. Based on your search you can find the themes and follow the instructions to install the theme.
- There will be different installation steps to be followed for different themes, hence handle it accordingly.
- Once the theme is installed into your website you will get a success message with a link to activate or live preview.
- Now click on the Activate Button and the theme is successfully installed to your website.
INSTALL THEMES BY UPLOADING PREMIUM WORDPRESS THEMES:
In the first method, we can only install the free themes which are available in theme Directory. But here you will learn how to upload commercial themes and use it. There are a number of themes available with theme providers in the market. You can browse through many featured and premium themes which are free from few websites like Theme Junkie and Theme Forest.
Many other sites also have much affordable and specially featured themes for your requirement. Accordingly, you can download the one which is needed for you. Here are the steps to be followed for installing these downloaded themes to your website.
- Download the required .zip file from theme providers to your local machine.
- Once you are logged into your admin area, click on Appearance.
- At the top there is an Add New button, Click on that.
- Here you are able to see theme manager. Where many free and premium themes can be seen. But here we shall not use that because we need to upload our downloaded theme.
- Now you can also see the Upload Theme button at the top, click on that. And the file which contains the downloaded theme appears on the screen.
- Here you can choose the .zip file you had downloaded earlier, select the respective file and click on Install Now.
- There you will get a success message with a link to activate or live preview.
- Now click on the Activate Button and the theme is successfully installed to your website easily by Uploading method.
- Note 1. This functionality is only available for org users.
- Note 2. There may be different installation options to be followed for different themes.
INSTALL THEMES USING FTP:
When you are well experienced with using you can step on to the next level to install themes using FTP. It is not really for beginners since the steps are been advanced ones.
To add a new Theme to your installation using FTP, follow these basic simple steps:
- The first thing to do is to learn how to use FTP. FTP means File Transfer Protocol which is a simple and fast way to transfer the files over the internet from one computer to another. Using FTP to upload the theme can save you lots of time.
- Now install and setup your FTP program and connect to your host using FTP by clicking on wp-content followed by themes.
- Here you upload your extracted theme’s unzipped folder into the FTP server and wait until the theme is uploaded.
- Once you are done with uploading, go to admin area in Dashboard and click on Appearance followed by.
- You will see the theme which you uploaded here. Click on the activate button you see when you move the cursor on to that theme.
- The theme is successfully installed to your website.
Now you have understood the different ways to download the themes. But be careful while downloading the themes. Never download from various sites and illegal versions. These themes may have malware and bad links in them. Through which your site may get hacked and you may have to face many problems later.
Further, you can also create your own themes if you are interested in the distribution of themes. You can choose to help many other beginners in using your themes.
If you find this article helpful, please share. Drop a quick feedback or suggestion, that is my fuel for writing more relevant articles for everyone’s help.
Be Experimental, Be Unique & Be You !